Thursday, December 25, 2014

Eight Days of Channukah

(Please pardon the origin. This was fun to write.)

Eight days of channukah

On the day before channukah my baby gave to me, an open heart surgery.

On the first day of channukah my baby gave to me, one day in the ICU and an open heart surgery.

On the second day of channukah my baby gave to me, two extraction tubes, two days in the ICU and an open heart surgery.

On the third day of channukah my baby gave to me, thirty ccs of pish, two extraction tubes, three days in the ICU, and an open heart surgery.

On the fourth day of channukah my mother in law gave to me, four shabbos challah, three pieces of chicken, two gefilte fish, and a grandson recovering from open heart surgery.

On the fifth day of channukah my baby gave to me, five breathes on his own.  Four IVs, three boxes of chocolate from work, two stuffed animals and an open heart surgery.

On the sixth day of Channukah my baby gave to me: six stitches from extraction tube removals, point five miligrams of morphine drip, four electric wires attached to his heart, three total scars, two stuffed animals to watch over, and big ole respirator tube removed.

On the seventh day of Channukah my baby gave to me, an exit from the ICU.

On the eighth day of Channuakh my baby gave to me, eight dirty diapers, seven pieces of tape removed from his scar, sixty ccs drank on his own, five bottles polished off, four changes of clothes, three hours between each feeding, two arteries working very well, and a strong perfect repaired beating beautiful heart.

On this year Channukah HaShem gave to us, a strong, beautiful well behaved boy.

4 comments:

  1. It's incredible how well that song applies to your situation! I love Shlock Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elisha, I love the way you try finding the good even in such a hard situation. You brighten my day with the good updates. I feel like I’m there with you and Fraidy.
    This Chanuka poem showed me that besides comedian, you are a poet too… (and we all know you are an amazing father and husband too)
    Bat-Shevy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Technically, that's nine days. And what happened to the golden rings? That's my favorite part...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moshe - thank you!
    Bat-Shevy - I'm glad you're enjoying it. Thank you.
    Mike - Eight days of channukah, but yes nine days all together. how many golden rings were there?

    ReplyDelete