Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Envelope Please...

We just got back now from an Echo.  The echo is a major point of progress checking.  Its basically when they review the results of the surgery and check to see if the repair went well.  This was a little nerve wracking with it hanging over our heads the whole day.  In the meantime we will be doing our hishtadlus to make him gain weight, so I'm back on nursing duty, every other feeding.  When its my turn, we give him a bottle with 60ml, and half a cup of similac.
Thank Gd, they moved one bed from our room, then one baby that was here is in the ICU now, so besides us it's only the Ethiopian mother, and she's nice.  Which means we've equipped ourselves with two couch/bed/sofa whatnots, and are making the most of our room.  I really hope no one else moves in here before Shabbos.  Fraidy says I have to sleep here tonight so I can do a feeding.  Great.  Anyone wanna tag team with me instead?
The doctor came in to check on Norman today.  He said he looks very good and he did some sort of "doctor's examination" which included squeezing his stomach from the sides, and looking around at the baby.  He said he wants the baby to start to gain weight and then we could go.  So I asked if that means like Sunday, assuming he starts to gain weight, and he said yes.  So there's a chance we could come home on Sunday.  Another Shabbos here, that stinks.  My parents are going to try and join us here, and Fraidy's family is kind enough to make us all the food for shabbos.  The kids will be by my mother in law in Har Nof.  The chessed is bursting at the seams here.
In case you're wondering the echo came out good.  The doctor we like, Dr Amichai, did the echo.  There is still a slight regurgitation, but its the same as before the surgery and not any worse, so he isn't concerned about it.  I asked about a bris and he said shouldn't be a problem, we should verify again when we come back a week after release and do another echo then.
One more thing, during the echo, as the baby was lying on a table, shirt open, shmeared with cold gucky stuff he started to cry.  I asked Fraidy to bring up the pacifier, but in the meantime I put on some music.  He immediately went quiet and stayed that way as long as the music was playing.  At first it was Pachabel's Canon, but Vivaldi Winter was also calming.  I highly recommend it when you need to chill.

Enjoy...

5 comments:

  1. Is it really such a good idea to squeeze the abdomen of someone whose chest is being held together by a thread? Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to retract my use of term "Just sayin'".
      Those who don't know me might not realize how much I hate that phrase and that I was using it in a satirical manner.

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, in case you're wondering I'm thrilled that the echo came out good. I'm still in awe they managed to get that little ticker working and they even able to put it back together.

      Delete
    3. I was wondering also why squeezing his tummy is a good idea. They must have a class on squeezing tummies.

      Delete
    4. was totally expecting you to post this twice in some sort of terrible "echo" joke...

      Delete